You would probably assume that we have a lemon obsession by the number of lemons in our kitchen. However none are bought nor even harvested from our property (we do have a small lemon tree however no fruit as of yet). They are all gifts from generous customers. We receive many shopping bags full of them and so the quest ensues on how to use them all in different ways.
One of our friends was having a birthday party and as i love to bake i practically begged to make the birthday cake. This particular friend is obsessed with lemon curd so i thought to myself, how can i make a cake that involves lemon curd AND is big enough for a party of people?
Lemon Curd Layer Cake with Italian Buttercream
Lemon Pound Cake
Again i used the lemon pound cake recipe from the Insatiable Sisters. What can i say? It’s such a good recipe! I multiplied the recipe by four and divided it into three 20cm square tins.
1 cup sugar
1 cup cornflour
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
3/4 cup lemon juice
1 and 1/2 cups water
60g butter, chopped
3 egg yolks
1. Combine the sugar, cornflour and lemon rind in a saucepan. Stir in the lemon juice and water until smooth
2. Stir over medium-high heat for 2 minutes, or until the mixture boils and becomes very thick. Add the butter and stir over the heat for 1 minute, or until the butter has melted
3. Remove from the heat, quickly add the egg yolks and whisk until combined. Remember that the curd will be very thick, as it has to stand up to the weight of the cake on top of it (It felt like i was trying to stir concrete!)
I had heard of Italian Buttercream however i didn’t really know what it was. We had leftover egg whites from making the lemon curd so we thought we would give it a try. FAR OUT. This is the icing we have been searching for in our quest to make the perfect cupcake. We used this recipe.
Putting It Altogether
1. On your desired plate, place the first cake. Spread the lemon curd on top, about an inch thick. Don’t worry at this point about having it perfect
2. Place the second cake on top of the lemon curd layer and again spread the lemon curd on top, about an inch thick. Place the third cake on top
3. Using the excess lemon curd, smooth each side of the cake. It should look like this:
4. Spread the Italian Buttercream over the entire cake and decorate as desired
#Note: I apologise for the poor quality picture of the finished cake – i took it at the birthday party just before they put the candles on!