Most households have “their banana cake recipe”, which is always “the best banana cake recipe”. Well this is our households!
Originally this recipe was full of sugar and wheat however I’ve experiemented with it a number of times to make it what it is today. And it’s still equally as delicious!
We find that this recipe works best if you use frozen bananas so the mixture has time to caramelise and the sloppier the bananas the better.
The cake also tastes fantastic when frozen and defrosted for some reason. It’s super fudgy.
Refined Sugar-Free and Wheat Free Banana Cake
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 overripe bananas, frozen is best
1 cup rye flour
1/2 cup barley flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan forced and grease and line a loaf tin (or standard cake tin) with baking paper
- Melt the butter, honey, maple syrup, vanilla and the frozen bananas in a large saucepan. As the bananas defrost, mash them into the mixture. When fully mashed, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flours and baking powder.
- Quickly whisk the egg into the banana mixture to avoid it scrambling and then stir in the flour mixture. Add the milk and stir until just combined.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes